A THREE PIECE AESTHETIC MOVEMENT BELGE NOIR AND VERDE A...A THREE PIECE AESTHETIC MOVEMENT BELGE NOIR AND VERDE ANTICO METAL MOUNTED MARBLE CLOCK GARNITURE, PARIS, 1880-1890, the flaming chalice patinated metal finial on a circular base over a stepped frieze with applied Verde Antico green marble frieze, above an enameled Arabic numeral dial with two escapements, the clockworks marked with a pastille, "Medaille d'Argent, Vincenti, 1855," and with numbers 6586 and 5-2; the clock face flanked by string inlaid and incised gilt stylized flowers, raised on a stepped plinth with restrained starbursts and inlaid motif, raised on splayed acanthine feet, with two matching compotes on like gilt incised and inlaid stepped bases. Height: 20 1/2" Width: 12" Depth: 6 1/2" Note: The manufacture of this clock, though marked Vincenti, was most likely made under the supervision of Amédée Roux. Vincenti & Cie.'s origin dates back to 1823, when watchmaker/mechanic Jean Vincenti founded the company in Montbeliard. The company fell into financial bankruptcy and dissolved in 1828, giving way to another business in October 1829, still called Vincenti et Cie, with which Albert Roux, father of Amédée Roux, officially joined as leading shareholder. Quite quickly, annual production reached 8,000 watch movements. In addition to large volumes, in 1830 the factory mounted mechanisms for music boxes, carcel oil lamps, metronomes, spinning counters, and lark mirrors. In November 1833, Albert Roux established a large-scale watch and clock factory. Besides a house located opposite the original factory, Albert Roux had new workshops and offices built, and moved in early 1834. The factory in 1840 had a water wheel. The prefectural decree of February 26, 1846 authorized the maintenance of a 6 hp steam engine to operate the metal lathes of the watchmaking factory, replaced by a more powerful machine in 1858 (10 hp). A workers' housing and a house are built, respectively in 1850 and 1856. Amédée Roux succeeded his father in 1858, year of creation of the new company Amédée Roux et Cie, which continued to manufacture pendulum and chime movements, travel alarm clocks, Morse receivers, railway regulators, cogs for water and gas meters, etc. The factory was enlarged in 1864. At the end of this year, the factory produced 5,500 pendulum movements per month. Around 1890, she launched into the production of phonograph movements, prepayment counters, then automobile counters, taximeters, speed indicators, recording cylinders, igniter-extinguishers, pigeon-passenger arrival constators. They were awarded medals at the Paris exhibitions of 1834, 1839, 1844, 1849, 1855 and 1867, the pastille marks apparently still used well into the late 19th century, as seen here. A foundry and a brass rolling workshop were built around 1895. In 1902, the factory was again enlarged and equipped with a room for the steam engine. The factory closed in 1929. Aesthetic Movement was a short-lived decorative, architectural, and literature style popular from 1880-1890. Elements of modernism can be seen herein by way of the functionality and simplicity of line and form, while retaining some old world embellishments. A predecessor in some ways of modernism, this is a lovely example of Aestheticism in this garniture. Provenance: Lifelong Collection of Clocks and Antiques, Navasota, Texas.
Some apparent repairs throughout, side handles replaced, replaced pendulum, top finial possibly with some pieces lacking, a foot loosened, but overall in good to very good condition, wear commensurate with age. Simpson Galleries does not guarantee any timepiece or clock mechanism. Simpson Galleries strongly encourages in-person inspection of items by the bidder. Statements by Simpson Galleries regarding the condition of objects are for guidance only and should not be relied upon as statements of fact and do not constitute a representation, warranty, or assumption of liability by Simpson Galleries. All lots offered are sold "AS IS." NO REFUNDS will be issued based on condition.